Sunday, May 20, 2012

Questioning: Freedom, Rules & Handwashing




Galatians 5:1
Freedom in Christ ] So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law. 


So a few weeks ago an idea sparked my interest to search it out further in the world and in my Bible.  I had had a discussion with a friend that led me to ponder our earthly set of rules and standards.  Growing up I heard the words "Worldly" used many times.  Do not become worldly.  Worldly as I knew it to be as a youngster had to do with falling in with the wrong crowd, drinking, smoking, forgetting God or thinking yourself too good for believing.  But what about the "traditions of men" that are spoken of in Mark 7 where Jesus slams the Pharisees for upholding these traditions above God's law or God's Heart?  


The Pharisees are judging the disciples because they didn't wash their hands before they ate.  


It made me start thinking about parenting.  


It made me start thinking about rules or cultural standards we uphold and even criticize or lecture others about that have no Biblical roots.  Or are just being held above God's love and forgiveness. 


By the way the show Glee has been randomly making biblical discussions apart of the show.  I'm all for showing teenagers as smart on television too many times they are portrayed as stupid or conniving.  These kids though(2 or 3 of them) seem to have Leviticus memorized and see no difference between the Old and New Testament believing then that you would need to pick and choose what parts of the Bible are still valid or apply to your life personally.  Mostly because of the plethora of rules that would be impossible to adhere to or are outdated in Leviticus.


Now we could argue why this is wrong and discuss basic theology but what I'm interested in is the fact that many times we blur the two and stop living in freedom.  We get confused, we live in and around man's set of rules where power and control( many times based in fear) leak in maybe not in words but in actions and the Freedom that Christ died for gets lessened.  


 Colossians 2:
 20 You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, 21 “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? 22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. 23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires.


Are we living free?  


I realize I'm leaving this post with loose ends.  I'm still pondering, still praying.  I want my mind to be renewed.  I don't want to conform blindly not questioning. 


Hmmmm..... I'll leave you with this.


Romans 12:   
Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].


That's what I want!


Jess


God loves you!



This is good stuff- Thank you Jesus!












No comments: