Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's on the Cheap



Valentine's Day kind of snuck up on me this year. Not that I didn't know it was coming but my life has sort of sucked all the money out of me. My car, my kids getting sick, feeding other humans in my household, the usual. So since I'd still like to go out on this most romantic of Tuesdays this February I must think outside the box. Thankfully for me I live outside the box.

Magazines and such like to suggest a home cooked meal to show your significant other how much you care. I say no. I am a stay at home mom right now and although I enjoy cooking I'd like a break. Especially since my audience usually wants chicken nuggets and mac n' cheese.

I suggest checking out your online options. Places like Groupon, Livingsocial & plumdistrict have daily deals, many of which include getaways, spa days, food, & fun activities. You just pay in advance and print or show your voucher on your phone and you can get up to 75% off your date. I recently bought 2 admissions to an Ice Castle in Silverthorne thinking it would make a fun future date.




Check out Kidspages.org, a website with a calender of local fun things to do with your kids. It's great because each day it shows what's going on in the Denver area. It shows free events, discounts on theater tickets, free passes to museums in the area, displays restaurants where kids eat free as well as paid activities going on. So if I'm stuck on what to do or want to plan for certain day I check there 1st.

I found out on kidspages that the Denver Center for Performing Arts will put several tickets on sale for $10 at 10am tomorrow morning. So I'm going to check it out to see if Trav & I might catch a show tomorrow.

Caribou Coffee sent me a coupon for Bogo drinks on Valentine's Day and I'm considering the whole "Make Out" discount to get a free burrito at Qdoba. Apparently if you kiss your significant other in front of your server you get FREE FOOD( a bit creepy, slightly romantic). It may not be my dream dinner but it fits my current "dream budget" so I'll think about it.

Sign up for e-mails from every place you might consider eating if you want free birthday food and quite a bit of coupons. Mostly casual and upscale casual restaurants do this. Some fancier places are included on restaurant.com and in entertainment coupon books.

Also, If you're trying to save this Valentine's day don't forget romantic but cheap things like ice skating but most of all think of your significant other. It doesn't have to cost a lot to spend quality time together. I think having fun and forgetting your day to day worries to remember why you are together in the 1st place is what's most important.


Jess

No comments: